Monday, September 10, 2012

Completed Tetris Quilt

I've really enjoyed participating in the Tetris Quilt-a-long.  After working hard to complete this quilt for the last week, I managed to finish hand stitching the binding down this morning.

Tetris_quilting_corner

This is the first time I have attempted free motion quilting on a large quilt.  I just did a simple all over loops.  It went smoother than I thought it would.  The quilting took about 5 hours at the machine.  In that time I did end up stitching over two basting pins, and I had one really close call with my thumb.

sewn_glove_thumb

Thankfully the needle just stitched through the tip of my glove, and not my thumb.  I felt the needle scrape by my nail.  I got lucky on that one, and slowed down a bit for the rest.

Tetris_quilt

This quilt finished at 70" x 80".  I didn't have enough of either the orange or the green binding, so I just used both.  I actually like it better than I would've if it was all one fabric for the binding.

If it weren't for the deadline to link up the finished quilts, I think this would've been another top added to my pile needing to be quilted.  Deadlines can be very good.  

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! The black side piece totally goes with the owls!!! and I am so glad you didn't go over your finger, scary!! Deadlines are a major motivator for me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting it done on time...I know I was pushing the deadline too. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete